Toxic Houseplants for Dogs (Do You Have These in Your Home)?

Dec 12, 2014 | Posted by in dog behaviors | 0 comments

 

Toxic houseplants for pets

This could be dangerous to your dog Copyright: stephaniezieber / 123RF Stock Photo

The busy holiday season is here. We’re hanging stockings, wrapping gifts and adding decorated trees to our homes.  You can imagine what your dog must think—they’re bringing my bathroom indoors?

It can be a confusing time for pets. Along with the decorating, there may be schedule changes, house guests and a general feeling of franticness in the air. And even if they’re not prone to chewing on unapproved items, that new plant may be in just the right place at the right time.

Reduce your stress by keeping an eye on any new houseplants or greenery that come in for the holiday season and know which ones are toxic so you can keep them far away from your pets.

Toxic Holiday Plants for Dogs

  • Holly
  • Mistletoe
  • Lilacs
  • Amaryllis
  • Pine needles –they can also puncture organs if consumed

Standing Christmas tree water poses a danger due to bacteria and fertilizer. Some pets have sickened after only a few slurps. Keep the water fresh and keep your pets away from it.

Non Toxic Plants

  • Poinsettias – This has been mis-classified for years but it turns out other plants are far more dangerous than the classic poinsettia. It’s still not a good idea for Fido to eat it but it’s not dangerous.
  • Christmas cactus –this lovely plant features flowers of different colors and is safe.

So what’s a pet lover (and plant lover) to do about the poisonous plants?

If you have an avid chewer, you’ll either want to keep them well out of reach or don’t bring them into the house at all. Also, you can train your dog that chewing on houseplants (or drinking Christmas tree water) is not a good practice. You’ll be the best gauge of whether your pet can handle the temptation. Know the symptoms of poisoning so if something does happen, you can call your vet right away.

Symptoms of poisoning include:

  • Excessive Drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Severe drop in blood pressure
  • Trouble breathing
  • Tremors

If you think your pet is in danger, call your vet or the poison control center immediately for advice and recommendations.

Free Shipping on all orders over $199

You can change this text by going to Appearance -> Theme Options -> Homepage